Friday, August 27, 2010

Hyderabad Traditional Jewellery - Bindi - PART1

A cut diamond necklace with pearl droppings is a very traditional "hyderabadi" ornament that is usually passed along through the generations. There is an old hyderabadi saying that one never owns one's jewelery, but  rather rents/enjoys it to wear in their lifetime and  then passes it along to the next generation !!

My personal feeling is old/traditional jewellery enhances and embellishes one's beauty in a very subtle way the is not possible with contemporary jewellery.

Here is a traditional bindi set from my aunt, I will be blogging about other traditional jewellery pieces later on. If you have any traditional hyderabadi jewellery that you would like to share on the blog please feel free to email me.


1 comment:

  1. i loved the bindi; my mom gave me a basra pearl strings ,of her grandmother's; could you please write about Basra pearls.

    ReplyDelete