Sunday, September 26, 2010

Tusshe - Hyderabadi traditional Jewellery

Today I am going to blog about jewellery since jewellery is an intrinsic part of the overall fashion sense. Specifically, I will talk about traditional old Hyderabadi Jewellery and I think traditional jewellery never really goes out of fashion. I am going to be showing you some pieces that my aunt ( a lady with a very refined taste and of course, lots of money ;-)  was kind enough to share and allow me to photograph. The first item that I really adore is a variation of the choker and is called a Tusshe or Laccha. I am showing two variations and I have seen some that are much more grander than the ones below, but I personally like these, because they are simple, classy and elegant…..very Hyderabadi!

Tusshe originated some hundreds of years ago from the Nizam's choker called Laccha. It is put together by tightly tying several similar pieces of Jewellery, usually zigzag in shape, with a thread in between. Tusshe is usually made with gold and can go very well when worn on sarees with zaree on them.

Lacchas.....



Antique Tusshe - More than hundred years old
Note : This is one of the many posts that I will write about jewellery from and around the Hyderabad area. Also, if you happen to have any traditional Hyderabad jewellery, PLEASE send me a pic along with any history about the piece so that I can put it on the blog for the world to appreciate... because every piece of  jewellery has an interesting story to tell !! .

5 comments:

  1. this piece indeed is very beautiful; artisans today can't make such fine work ; in the zig- zag pieces one can have precious or semi precious stones placed.this piece can also be from carnataca region; I believe , during Krishnadeva raya time both regions were one .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Beautiful Piece! Now-a-days it is very hard to buy antique jewellery. Couple of reasons.First the sky rocketting gold prices.Second no one can trust the cunning jewellery shop owners.There is no defination to "how old the piece is" to call it an antique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. usually, the custom is for anything to be called antique, it has to be 100 years or older

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi,i am looking for a lacha as well can anyone tell me of any shops in hyderabad which are trust worthy...am looking for something like sania wore on her wedding and any idas about the price as well?
    thanks
    twinealum@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sania wore Karan phool and Latcha on her wedding day.Price varies according to the value of the Almas and the pearls .If you you want to spend good price which has Almas and Real Basra pearls then you will have to pay a price of at least five to six lakhs.Otherwise ,if you just want ordinary stones with cultured pearls then it would be somewhere around forty to fifty thousands rupees.

    ReplyDelete